Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas - to Me!

I try to journal a little bit every morning – process yesterday’s news, get interesting snippets of dreams down, kvetch a little. Over the last year or so, I have spent a few minutes most mornings adding a list of things I am grateful for. I find that if I am very still, put my full attention on my good fortune, my day is always the better for it. I have greater patience for disgruntled fellow creatures, razor-thin bank balances and knots in string. Life looks brighter and decidedly more peaceful through the lens of gratitude. Here are a few items from my morning list:

-My daughter is a wonder. Lovely. Clever. Funny. Creative. Generous. Kind.
-For Christmas, my husband, a gifted artist, gave me prints of two of his amazing pencil drawings.
-I love the work I do, and I’m grateful if it makes a difference in the lives of the kids I work with.
-I have an abundance of fascinating friends.
-Santa remembered to get treats for my dogs’ Christmas stockings this year.
-Poetry gives me a buzz.

I’m rich! I’m rich!

See what I mean? I urge you to try it out for yourself for a week or two. I bet you’ll feel like you’ve given yourself a little gift each day – the gift of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment